Welcome to the Graefenburg UMC blog! Here you can find thoughts, study God's Word, and discuss the issues and challenges of life. This is our online resource for community building and discipleship. Welcome!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Abraham...the weather...and other random thoughts...

Five work days?!?  No way.  Oh, but yes, it did happen!  Are you as tired of snow as I am?  It was funny this past Sunday, many of you were discussing the fact that if we didn't have the weather to complain about what would we have?  My thoughts:  I do not like cold weather.  I am pretty sure that I complain all winter long.  Every 5 weeks or so I have the dreaded "car rider duty" where I must stand out in the cold for 30 minutes each morning and help the students get into the building from the car.  (My poor assistant principal has this glorious job every morning, I really shouldn't complain.)  I dread it in the winter.  I believe that there is nothing worse than being cold.  You won't find me complaining when it is hot outside...bring it on!
So what is my point in that?  Nothing.  Just thought it was amusing.  :)
The new sermon series is on the  "Power of One."  I am pretty sure that I could write for days on this topic.  This series will eventually include a sermon based upon Ruth.  I told Matthew I would take that sermon.  I am pretty sure I have exhausted the story of Ruth in my studies.  (No worries, he wouldn't actually let me preach...he likes lunch.)   There are so many stories in the Bible about how one person had such great influence on the story of history.  Without them, our redemption story could have been much different.
Have you ever had one person that totally changed your perspective?  Or your story?  I am reminded of an incident that occurred near the beginning of this school year.  We were probably a month into school and I was already struggling.  I was working all day each day, going to grad school at night, homework and lesson plans when I wasn't at either of those places, and repeat daily.  I felt like I wasn't doing anything well.  I wasn't being a great teacher, wife, student...nothing. I really felt this in my teaching.  My beginning of the year excitement had been traded for exhaustion.  One sunny (and warm!) morning I had that lovely car rider duty.  The kindergarten was going on a field trip that day...their very first field trip.  The kiddos were super excited - they were bounding out the cars and telling me all about it.  But there was this one sweet girl who got out of the car and told me she was sad.  I quizzically looked at her and asked her why she was sad?  She was going on a field trip, it would be so much fun, she should be excited to come to school today!  She looked at me and said "I am sad because I am going to miss music with you today."  Break my heart!  I cried.  I cry at everything, but that one really got me.  That teenie tiny baby girl changed the entire course of my day.  She made me feel that even though things were crazy and that I didn't feel like I wasn't making a difference, I meant something to her.
   The story of Abraham tells the power of Abraham's faith in God.  He fully trusted that God would take care of him and Isaac.  Even if God took Isaac that day as a sacrifice, Abraham trusted that it was God's will and that it would all work out.  Would we be so trusting?  I'm not sure that I would have responded the way the Abraham did.  (And by the way, Matthew mentioned Sarah's possible reaction...I'm pretty sure I know how I would have responded if I were Sarah...look out!) 
Each day we have such power.  We can be "the one" who influences those around us.  How will you change someones day?  Will you have a positive effect?
Will you smile at everyone you see today? - Maybe to lift their day...
Will you groan and grumble about someone who has mistreated you.....or pray for them.  We never know what is going on in their life today.
Will you be the one who welcomes strangers into your midst....or shun them because they aren't like you....
Will you tell someone how much they mean to you....or let it go unsaid...

Will you be the one?

~jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment