Welcome to the Graefenburg UMC blog! Here you can find thoughts, study God's Word, and discuss the issues and challenges of life. This is our online resource for community building and discipleship. Welcome!

Friday, July 1, 2011

Happy July...

I am getting to the part of summer where I get anxious.  I know I still have a month or so left, but I feel like now it is going so fast and in no time I will be back to the grind.  I LOVE being home.  I love spending time with friends and family, having spontaneous lunches with friends and the hubby, and of course shopping.  (Matthew doesn't love that part so much...) 
      This reminds me of a conversation Matthew and I were having earlier this week.  My life is currently based upon relationships.  I am always looking for ways to build closer relationships with those around me.  I find ways to minister to those friends through relationships.  When I was in college, it wasn't the case.  I was very much focused on the "rules" of being a Christian.  Don't drink, don't use foul language, don't watch rated "R" movies...etc.  I spent so much time worrying about all the things that I could or could not do, I missed out on many relationships.  I actually scared more people away from Christ than I led to Him.  I think it was a very "me" centered faith. 
    The rules aren't what makes your faith.  Matthew actually compared my previous way of thinking to that of a Pharisee.  (OUCH!)  But, he was right.  I had a very "legalistic" faith.  Originally, the Pharisee's used the "rules" to define what a good "Jew" would be.  Christ came to redefine all of that.  His premise was love.  You can't love rules...you love people.  Christ asked us to love people into the kingdom - not rule them into it. 
   So...on that note....anyone wanna do lunch?  Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment