Welcome to the Graefenburg UMC blog! Here you can find thoughts, study God's Word, and discuss the issues and challenges of life. This is our online resource for community building and discipleship. Welcome!

Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

I am sitting quietly waiting to ring in 2011.  As you can tell, Matthew and I are really party animals.  This past week has been full of reflection upon the past year, and a look of head in anticipation of what is to come in 2011.  This past year was a difficult one.  I experienced the loss of my grandmother and a decline in health of my grandfather.  I began a master's degree, which is proving to be a stretch on my (and Matthew's) sanity.  There have been good parts as well, such as our new journey here at Graefenburg.  We never know what to expect as we follow God's call.  I don't like making "New Year's Resoloutions" because I have found that those last about a week before I give up and resume life as I know it.  But alas, in 2011 I would like to be healthier (losing a million few pounds wouldn't hurt), I would like to be less stressed, and I would like to not wish time away.  The healthier thing will come, it just takes will power and self discipline, so ask me at the end of next year how that went.  :)  The less stressed thing might just take a miracle, full time job, grad school, home, church, friendsand family fill a girls schedule quite nicely and leave little wiggle room.  But all of those are great things and I am truly blessed that those are the things that stress me, instead of the issues that stress so many of those around us. 

I do find myself wishing away time.  I am always looking forward to the next big event, or time off from work to spend with my family, or simply the next time that I get to sleep in.  Sometimes I am so worried about getting to the next thing, that I forget to stop and enjoy today.   The "right nows" are just as important, if not more important that the "what's next" in life but yet, there are many times when I miss out on those moments.  This next year I want to slow down and enjoy today, everyday.  I don't just want to push forward into the next thing I want every moment to count. 

What do you hope for in the New Year? 

Do you make every moment count?

~Jennifer

1 comment:

  1. You are so right that we are blessed to be "stressed" by the things you mentioned. I often have to make myself slow down as well. It has been my big goal since starting back after the break to take things one day at a time....for my sanity one, and also to simply take in and appreciate the only day God promises us...today.

    ReplyDelete